Marketing your Production for Profit
Bud Williams, as well as being the premier authority on Proper Stockmanship, also developed an excellent livestock marketing program. Although we will focus on cattle, these techniques also work with sheep and goats. Actually, they will work with anything you sell and buy including land, hay and grains, money, etc.
Some of the key points of Bud Williams Marketing we will cover in our class are:
- Know and Understand Yourself
- The only price that matters (hint, there won’t be any crystal ball involved)
- Sell/Buy compared to Buy/Sell
- Find Relationships and determine what to sell and what to buy
- Determine the Value of Breeding Stock
- Marketing for the Cow/Calf Producer
- Make a profit and stay in business!
We will not be discussing direct-marketing your livestock as meat, though, of course, that would be the over-valued animal in your sell/buy equation! We also won’t be discussing organically raised meat, though our techniques would work for animals you aren’t able to market as organic and need to find another route to market. A full understanding of sell/buy as compared with buy/sell thinking will help every part of your operation including how and why you buy your next pick-up!
Watch our calendar page for a school in your area. Or, if you have a group of people who are interested in a school, give us a call!
Proper Livestock Marketing 101
In 2019 we put together the definitive book on Proper Livestock Marketing by collecting everything Bud Williams wrote on the subject in his subscription website along with the transcript of his Marketing DVD. Attendees of our school will get a coupon for a reduced price on buying this book!
Read more about the book here.
Marketing Price Links
- USDA Market Reports for Feeder and Replacement Cattle
- Cattle USA, live videos of U.S. auctions
- usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/MannUsda/displayAMSPatronSubscriptions.do?reports=0000 [Use this link to sign up to receive your selected auction and/or state summary prices by email.]
If you have attended one of our marketing schools, and you are looking for the password protected page to download the excel files, this is NOT that page! Please click here and enter the password provided in the school to find the excel files.